Dear Author Letter
Jul. 25th, 2019 02:31 pmHi!
I'm interested in creating a podfic of your work. This means that I'd like to record myself speaking your fic aloud, like an audiobook, and post it. I'm interested in doing this because I really really enjoy your work (I do! I think it's great), I think other people will enjoy it, and with your permission, I'd like to bring it into a new medium.
You aren't obliged to have anything to do with production or promoting the podfic if/when it's made. Your responsibility ends here. You have no obligation to listen to it, recommend it to people, or even tell anyone that a podfic is being made (although it would make me feel very warm and fuzzy if you did!). If you would like to listen to the fic before I post it, I am happy to arrange that (although I do understand, being an author myself, that it could be a bit odd to here someone else interpreting your words!). If you have a song that inspired the fic or reminds you of the fic, I am happy to include that in the opening/closing credits. I may also contact you with questions on pronunciation or what you meant by a particular line. This comes from me wanting to understand the content in order to perform the work to the best of my ability.
I will do my best to translate what you've written into my speech. I won't make any profit from it (except the joy of sharing it!) and I will always credit you as the author of the work. You will be named in the recording of the fic itself, the cover art, and when I post the link to AO3 I will mark the work as inspired by your original fic, so that the podfic links back to you. If you have email notifications from AO3 enabled, you will get an email when this happens.
If you ever choose to want to be dissociated with the fic (if, for instance, you decide to orphan the original fic), let me know, and I will remove your name from it. If you choose not to give permission for me to podfic the work at all, that is also not a problem, and I will not be offended.
My podfics are hosted on my Google Drive, and links are shared on my AO3, my tumblr, and sometimes on the amplificathon community here on Dreamwidth. If you'd like to take a look at some of my previous work, check out the link to my AO3 above.
Lastly, if you're receiving this letter, it's likely that I couldn't find your blanket permission statement, or one doesn't exist at all. Please consider creating a blanket permission statement and tagging your works with 'Blanket Permission' on the AO3 to help podficcers like me transform more work :)
I'm available for you to contact at any time through my tumblr or by leaving a comment here on Dreamwidth.
Thank you for taking the time to read this!
Cheers,
randomfatechidna